Exercise One – Wrapping with threads
For this exercise I used a wooden spoon as suggested in the course notes.
Here I have detailed the technique used to cover the spoon , photos of the outcome and any drawings made.
First I chose a fairly plain yarn to cover the spoon. The cotton tape yarn I had chosen covered the handle of the spoon well but would only go so far when trying to cover the head of the spoon using the same technique. It slipped off the spoon where the edges curved up towards the very top. At this point I chose to wrap the tape at an angle to this edge. This gave an interesting pattern where the tape crossed over itself.
I then repeated this wrapping with raffia. Similar patterns of wraps were seen but the uneven width of the raffia gave a slightly different look to the finished item. Also I wrapped the raffia densely in places. I tried to view the wrapped item from different angles, not just in profile and this has given me an interesting picture looking down the length of the spoon, with some of the item out of focus.
This pattern of wrapping was repeated with elastic bands, fat string and fancy yarn.
With the elastic bands I left large areas of the spoon exposed. These were easy to wrap around the spoon and held well to the curved areas. As a contrast to the exposed areas I chose to wrap the bands densely at the top of the spoon. This gave a raised area on the spoon, changing the profile of the item slightly.
The fat string wrapped well around the handle of the spoon but also started to slip near the curved head of the spoon. For this sample I didn’t try to cover the whole spoon and kept wrapping the string straight across the item. This gave some areas of more densely wrapped string. Also this string sat neatly against each other when wrapped straight across the handle. This meant that a second layer of wrapping at a slightly different angle sat on top of the original wrapped area well.
I found a fancy yarn and hoped that it would give an interesting surface when wrapped over the spoon. When the yarn was wrapped in different directions the frayed edges sat well against each other and shot out from the spoon surface in many directions. However when the yarn was wrapped closely around the spoon the frayed edges all lay in the same direction, this was less interesting to me but did give a different texture to the surface.
Three of the above yarns were then combined together.
Three yarns wrapped around the item at the same time. While the yarns were wrapping around the item they were also wrapping around each other. This meant that they did not form lines of yarn one next to yarn two next to yarn three continually up the item.
I then chose to use three yarns again but this time layer each one, leaving a little area of each layer visible. This sample is my favourite from this exercise. Unconsciously the yarns I have chosen have formed a good colour palette. The contrast between the yarns also works well as one is very flat, one is fat and a little furry and then the fancy yarn raises the surface of the spoon.
For the last three samples I tried to change the profile of the spoon by adding loops. These loops were easy to make but a little more difficult to anchor down to the spoon. I don’t really like this sample. It doesn’t look finished, maybe more loops completely covering the spoon would have worked better.
I then thought about not wrapping the spoon directly and instead creating a surface to apply to the spoon. Long string lengths were prepared and elastic bands used to secure it to the spoon. This succeeded in changing the profile of the spoon and also left areas of the spoon uncovered to give contrast between the hard wood and the soft string.
Finally I used the string wrapping to hold jiffy bag opening strips to the spoon. These strips are the long pieces of plastic torn off the jiffy bag when they are opened. This sample looked a little messy but I think that the idea used here was most important, that the wrapping could be used not just to cover the spoon but also to secure items to it.
Using the same spoon for all these trials seemed the best option to me. It allowed easy comparison between the techniques used and also easily shows how one idea can lead to the next.