MM Part Two – Project Two – Wrapping – Exercise Three

Exercise Three – Uneven wrapping

Before starting this exercise I gathered together all the materials and threads I’d used in the previous work. I felt it was useful to have all this together to have some continuity to these samples. I have  a lot of rubbish in my house but it was difficult to find items that were interesting enough to wrap, I did settle on these final items.

For my first sample I chose to attach a tennis ball and a peg together. I thought that these two items were about the most different I could find. One was round and soft with the other being hard and straight. I also chose to try to obscure the identity of the items further by wrapping them in crepe paper.  This was very stiff and didn’t form easily around the items .

I then found some blue yarn and wrapped this over the crepe paper. As the paper was so shiny and bright I felt that it would be best to leave some of this visible after wrapping with the yarn. The dark blue was a good contrast to the gold paper and worked well. I then chose some thin red thread and wrapped that over the item. This wrapping pulled the paper in closer to the underlying items but still covered many of the fine details. I think it would be difficult to know what was inside this wrapped object simply by looking at the surface alone.

Coca Cola re-released these retro bottles a few years ago. I keep two on my desk with ink cartridges in. I thought that there easily identifiable shape would be interesting for this exercise, could I cover it up and make it less recognisable?  I keep a big box of fabric scraps so thought that those would be useful for this exercise. I began by knotting some thin strips over larger fabric pieces to anchor them to the bottle. I then tried to knot other pieces to the bottle to try to obscure the glass bottle entirely. There were a few gaps here and there so I then wove some smaller pieces in to these gaps to completely cover the bottle.

I think that this sample has worked well. It still has its bottle shape but the iconic shape has been smoothed out so it is not immediately obvious that there is a cola bottle under all that fabric. The coloured fabrics have worked well together. As there are many colours on the bottle it all clashes so no fabric scrap really stands out more than another.

While digging around in the fabric scrap box I found the elasticated edge of a fitted sheet. This was still in a complete loop so reminded me of a giant elastic band. I felt that this could be easily wound around an object so chose to cover an ink roller with it. While this has covered the item well and obscured the original shape of the ink roller I feel that it is a little bit dull as there is only one material used to cover the item. However the folds and wrinkles in the fabric I found interesting.

Judith Scotts work contains many pieces where the whole item being wrapped is not completely covered, some will remain visible. I found a pine cone and thought that the jiffy bag strips could be used to reflect the shape of the pine cone and extend out the surface. I wrapped the strips around themselves and then put them in the apertures between the scales of the pine cone. These twisted plastic and paper loops extend out the pine cones edge and reflect the pattern seen on the base of the cone.

I have had this large shell on my bookshelves for years and thought that it might be an interesting base to knot some thread or fabric through. Unfortunately I don’t think that this sample has worked too well. I had hoped for more. I had imagined the frayed fabric being knotted through the large holes in the shells wall and gushing over the top of the shell but that hasn’t happened here. Maybe more fabric should have been knotted through the holes in the shell or it would have been better to have used many different fabrics or threads rather than one long fabric strip.

For the final sample I chose to combine several items and just see where the wrapping took me. I have found the circular wrapping technique to be almost therapeutic. There is something about the motion of wrapping that I can get quite carried away while covering an item. As such I chose a selection of small items and then tried to combine them together. I found a small metal bucket, a highlighter, a biro and a toothbrush.  Uneven wrapping layers of yarn around the object was the best way to get it all covered and use the edges and corners to inform the direction of the wrapping. I first attached the highlighter and bucket together and wrapped them. I then added the biro and another layer of wrapping. The toothbrush was then added and I ensured that it didn’t meet the bottom of the bucket, but stuck out underneath it, so that the straight line that had been made there was broken up.

I found the yarn worked well to cover the items but there was something lacking from the surface. The wrapping had flattened everything but the surface needed to be raised a little bit more. To achieve this raffia and calico was woven in to the wrapping. While I set out to combine these items in to another random item the finished thing does remind me a little of a three legged animal.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s