MM Part Two – Project Two – Wrapping – Exercise Two

Exercise Two – Wrapping with materials and threads

A jug was used for this exercise. The one I found had a handle that seemed out of scale with the main body of the jug, being a little bit too large.

dsc00689

I first thought of wrapping the jug like a parcel. I found a large sheet of paper, much larger than the jug and folded it loosely around the item. To hold the paper in place I chose some thin red string. This thread was not strong enough to hold the paper to the jug well so there were some shadows cast between the threads and the paper surface. I chose to draw these threads and shadows and I found them interesting. I then wrapped the threads around the item to form more layers. The shape of the jug became a little more obvious after these extra layers but the paper was still difficult to form around the object.

I then repeated wrapping the jug with paper but used masking tape to hold the paper to the item. This gave a different result as the masking tape skimmed over the surface of the item trapping the paper beneath it. There was not as much tension on the tape as there was on the thread so the outline of the jug was not immediately obvious.

As the paper had been hard to form around the jug I thought about using some fabric instead. I had a tea towel to hand so loosely draped that over the jug. This in itself formed quite a nice shape around the jug. I then wrapped some cotton tape around the fabric to hold it to the jug. There was a lot of spare fabric here and many lumps and bumps formed over the fabric surface. The cotton tape was pulled very tightly so that these fabric bumps were exaggerated. Also there were some folds in the fabric that were held down by the tape and added another texture to the samples surface.

I had not used any plastic in any of these samples so far. I found a foam bag used to pack delicate items to post. The jug fit inside the bag but still needed to be anchored to it in some way. I used elastic bands as they formed well around the spoon in the first exercise and as the jug was curved I thought they would work well here. Again there was excess material surrounding the jug so securing the foam to the jug using tight elastic bands resulted in some lumps forming in the foam surface. This was the sample that most reminded me of Jeanne Claude and Christos work, in that the outline of the object was recognisable but some of the small details had been lost.

I thought that the samples I had produced up until now had used quite flat surfaces and threads so wanted to find something a little bit more textural. I wrapped the jug with a large piece of wool felt and used the fat string to secure the felt to it. This again gave areas of loose fabric under the tensely wound string.

I did not fully wrap the jug with thread in any of these samples, I found in Exercise One that I preferred the samples where some of the underlying item was visible. In this case the item wasn’t visible but the material used to wrap the item was. I especially liked the bunching and billowing fabric produced when the threads used to wrap the item were pulled tight.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s