MM Part Four – Project One – Exercise Two

Project One – Exercise Two

Drawing on to the printing plate

I chose to use the Gelli plate and acrylic paint mixed with extender for this exercise. The extender would give more time for me to work with the paint and the gelli plate had given good results in my previous tests.

Using acrylic paints I would have more colours available to me to use in these prints.

Landscape

I applied the paint for this print using a strip of cardboard. This meant that I could not be too accurate with the paint applied but also meant that some texture would be achieved by using this tool.

Too much paint was applied so the first print shows very little of the lines left on the plate surface by the card tool. The second print looks a little better as there is less paint on the print.

 

Trees

Less paint was applied on this plate so the first print has more clarity

 

Mountains

Small flat paintbrush used to apply paint to plate. Small strokes were used, this resulted in more depth to the items drawn.

The first print was taken on the parchment paper (Paperchase). There are small lines on the surface of the paper, these can still be seen in the second print taken on to smooth surfaced cartridge paper. By the third print the acrylic paint had dried to the plate. Acrylic ink was used to lift the paint from the Gelli plate surface.

 

Sunrise

From the previous prints I had seen that the printing plate could be overwhelmed with paint easily. Also I had noticed that the first paint applied to the plate would become the top layer on the paper when printed. I was careful in this piece to add in the dark clouds first as they would need to obscure the sun in the final print.

I think that this print has worked well. I still had some paint left on the plate so chose to spray the paper for the next print with water in the hope that it would lift the remaining paint off the Gelli plate. This did work but there was a little too much water on the paper so there are a few places where the paint has run.

Rock path

For this print I put in the black lines first and then filled in the areas between them. I think that I might have taken a little too long for this as the black lines dried out a little bit too much before I tried to print them. For this first print I used handmade rag paper. This took up the paint available to it well and the textured surface transferred well to the second print.

I then chose to use acrylic ink, first in warm grey and then white to lift the remaining paint. I think that the fourth print in this series has worked well. The limited palette of colours works well together and the texture from the liquid acrylic ink has added some interest to the print.

 

Ulitmately from this exercise I have learnt that I need to work more quickly to ensure that sections of the printing plate do not dry up before I can get to print them.

Also not to overload the plate with paint, this could lead to blurry first prints but better second prints once some of the paint has been removed.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s